History

Home » History
St Edward's Primary School Tamworth History
St Edward's Primary School Tamworth

The Growth and Development of St. Edward’s Primary School

St. Edward’s Primary School was officially opened by Bishop Doody on 31st January 1954. It was staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph and originally known as St. Mary’s Church School, located on Robert St South Tamworth. The school had two rooms that were packed up each Friday, to be set up as a church for the weekend Masses. In 1967 additional classrooms were built to accommodate increasing enrolments.

In 1970, due to a growing community in South Tamworth, a Primary Campus for students in Years three to six, was built on Hillvue Rd. It was blessed and opened by Bishop Freeman. The school has continued to grow and flourish with our Parish Church – Mary Help of Christians, opened in 1983, right next door to the Primary Campus.

Amalgamation and Ongoing Mission

For many years St. Edward’s Infants and Primary Schools operated separately, each with its own Principal. In 1989 the two schools were amalgamated and became St. Edward’s Primary School, although still on two sites, operating as one.

From humble beginnings in 1954, in the spirit of the Sisters of St. Joseph, St. Edward’s School continues to serve the community committed to improving the faith, learning and wellbeing of our students, staff and families.

St Edward's Primary School Tamworth History
St Edward's Primary School Tamworth

Give your child the best education at

St Edward's Primary School, Tamworth

Contact the friendly staff at St Edward's Primary School, Tamworth today!
Scroll to Top

Our System of Schools